Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Slow Start & Gentle Reminder

Here's what happened at my house today:

We slept late.  When I woke up to take a barking dog outside I discovered it was 8:55 AM! Yes, that's right, 8:55AM.  I couldn't believe it!  Sebastian was up and in the kitchen.  I ask him if he'd been up long, since normally he comes straight to me when he wakes up.  He let know he hadn't been up too long even though he had sat down on the floor for a few minutes in my room.  (All I can say I must have really been tired!)

It was almost another hour before Katherine awoke to join us.  Our day wasn't starting out well and certainly not on schedule, but somehow we managed fumble through breakfast. 

After we cleaned up from breakfast and I had my caramel latte, we sat down to begin our school day.  

Then the day continued to go down hill!  Katherine was grumbling about her lessons, and Sebastian wasn't trying with his math lesson.  I was at my breaking point and we had just started!

I yelled at them.  I was angry.  I was at my giving up point.  It was terrible!

I took time to count (to some high number) before stopping our lessons.  I ask the kids to meet me in the living room where I did what I knew I should have done the second I felt frustrated. 

We sat on the floor in the living room where we held hands and prayed.  I prayed for a spirit of calmness to come over us.  I prayed for forgiveness.  I asked my kids forgiveness.

Our day went on and we finished all but a couple assignments. There was time to play outside and enjoy the warm & beautiful weather.  We even made it to the library, which was on my to list for the day! 

I can't say the rest of my day was stress free, but God used this morning to remind me I must come to him for my strength.  I can't do it on my own or in my own strength, but God can!

God has given me (& Wes) the responsibility to raise a godly man & woman; however, I can't do it on my own.  I must rely on God, and He gently reminded me of that today.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,

I just checked into this blog and I have really loved what you've written. Sharing is hard to do and I applaud you for sharing your heart and struggles! So sorry we have been m.i.a. from homeschool group but this pregnancy and various other things have just kicked my rear these past couple of months! We do miss you all and I really truly miss visiting with you! Hopefully, after the Christmas season, we can return!!

Love to you & yours & a VERY Merry Christmas,

Julie