Thursday, March 17, 2011

Best Choice for Our Family (and It's Okay if it's Not the Best Choice for Your Family)

As a homeschooling parent I hear:
   "Wow, I don't know how you do it!"
   "I could never do that!"
   "You must have more patience than I do."
Here's my answers:
I don't have patience and yes, you can do it if it's the best decision for your family!

Wes and I do it, because God has given us the responsibility to teach our kids.  Currently, Wes and I believe the best way for us to obey God in that is to homeschool.  We don't know whether God will continue to lead us to homeschool until our kids graduate high school or whether He'll lead us to place them in a private or public school next fall.  We evaluate each year as to what God is leading us to do.

This week someone mentioned to me that if I would put the kids back into school (as if they aren't in school now) I could have the freedom to go do things with Wes during the day. 

Wow!  I should place my kids back in public school so I can have the freedom to do what I want.  Hmm.  I don't think so!

Now, I  believe the person who made that comment to me was well intentioned in saying it would make it easier for me to do certain things, and I'd have more opportunities to do things if I didn't have the kids with me all the time.  That is true, and there are occasions where it is inconvenient for me to have the kids with me.  It is especially hard since the kids are too young to stay home unsupervised, and we don't live near family.  Thankfully God has provided wonderful friends who have been willing to help out when those occasions arise.

I know it would be easier and less stress if I placed the kids in public or private school.  Trust me when I say I would enjoy having 7 hours every 5 days of me time; however, that is not what God has called me to at this point and time.  God doesn't lead everyone to homeschool and that's why there are other resources for education as in public/ private school systems.  God has called each one of us to a specific job and some are called to be teachers in those school systems.  I thank God for those teachers and pray for the local school systems as they have an important task in educating those children God has placed there.

I support educating kids no matter whether it's by public, private, homeschool, or other means.  I don't think those who choose to educate their kids differently than I currently do are wrong, so please don't encourage me to change what I know God is leading me to do because you don't understand, like, or agree with it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said.

dean said...

....and thats all I will say about that.

Anonymous said...

well said & Amen!! Love you, friend and miss you guys!! :(