Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Desire

This morning my heart is heavy as I pray to be the godly wife and mother God has called me to be.  This is what I desire most.  It is also the biggest challenge I face daily. 

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1 & 2*

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.  For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Ephesians 5: 22-24*

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.  You shall love the Lord you God with all hour heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.  You shall bind them as a sighn on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.  You shall write them on the doorposts of you house and on your gates.  Deuteronomy 6:4-9*

My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching.  Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck.  When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you.  For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are they way of life.  Proverbs 6:20-23*

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4*

For me to be the a godly wife and mother God has called me to be I must be first be one of His children.  I must have recognized my need for a Savior; desired a relationship with Him; and responded in faith & repentance.  For me to have a relationship with Him I must spend time getting to Him through reading His Word and talking to Him in prayer daily.  For me to teach God's truths to my children requires me to teach them with my words and show them with my actions.  I can't speak and show God's truth if I don't first know them myself and practice it in my life!  As Vickie Courtney puts it in her book Your Girl "Practice what we preach and preach what we practice." 

My desire is to be the godly wife & mother God has called me to be and it is a work in progress!

*The Bible (ESV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love you! thanks for the prayers!