Thursday, March 3, 2011

Doubt? God Answers!

Yesterday I lacked motivation all day.  As the hours passed I got cranky, because I was letting the day pass by and not doing anything productive!

At 3pm I knew I had to get the kids school lessons accomplished for day before we went to church at around 5pm, so I made them stop playing and come into the dinning area for school lessons.

They complained.

I got upset.

I was frustrated and knew we (I) had wasted the day, but I was taking it out on them as if it was their fault.

Then it got better.

Sebastian & I snuggled up in my bed and read a story or two while Katherine did her lessons on the computer.

And then, it unraveled again. 

I asked Sebastian to get his handwriting lesson out of the drawer and begin working on it, while I assisted Katherine, who had a question about her lesson. Sebastian couldn't find his handwriting lessons, which frustrated me.  I was asking him to do the same thing he does everyday, but yesterday he could not understand that I wanted him to pull out the 3rd blue drawer, pick up the two sheets in that drawer,  and do those two handwriting practice sheets while I helped Katherine.

No, I didn't respond as the kind, loving, respectful, non-frustrated mom.  Instead I used harsh words.

Why can't you do what I've asked?  This isn't hard, Sebastian!  I need you to listen to what I've asked and do it, so I can help your sister.  I can't help you both at the same time.  

Sebastian did finally understand and do what I ask, but the damage from me was already done.  I saw it on his face.


As I began to help Katherine I snapped at her, because she wanted me to help her with an answer on her quiz.

I wasn't being a good teacher or mother.  I wasn't honoring Christ with my words or actions, and I knew it! I felt like a failure, and I questioned whether or not God wanted Wes & I to homeschool the kids.  I doubted my ability, their ability, and just about everything else I could think of!

This morning I received an encouraging newsletter in my inbox from homeschoolhelper@homeschoolingtoday.com that was exactly what I needed after the day I'd had yesterday!

God used scripture from my devotion today and the article Considering Homeschooling? Fear Not! by J.J. Francis to calm all the doubts I had yesterday about homeschooling. 

Yes, God provides wisdom, strength, and encouragement when we need it when we seek Him.

No comments: